Skip to Content
Home>
Resident > Council and Democracy > Agenda and minutes

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Delyn Committee Room, County Hall, Mold CH7 6NA

Contact: Janet Kelly / 01352 702301  Email: janet.kelly@flintshire.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Declarations of Interest: Code of Local Government Conduct

Members are reminded that they must declare the existence and nature of their declared personal interests.  

Minutes:

None.

2.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 72 KB

To approve and sign as a correct record minutes of the previous meeting.

Minutes:

MINUTES OF MEETING 15 February 2017

 

Page 3 item 5 - Date incorrect 5 October 2016, all agreed correct date 15 February 2017.

 

Page 3 - CB meeting not quorate on 15 February 2017.  PL quorate need a member from each section, as GW attended it was ok.

 

Page 4 item 5 - CB discussed substitute members attending.  PL substitute members attending yes if in same position as non-attendee.

 

Page 6 item 11 - CB next meeting scheduled in school, why change to County Hall?  PL meeting at County Hall for new members.

 

CB & DM agreed that the minutes be approved as a correct record.

                                                     

3.

Role of SACRE pdf icon PDF 2 MB

To discuss the monitoring and supporting role of SACRE – see booklet ‘So you’re joining your local SACRE.’

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Handbook for SACRE members P7-18 English & P19-30 Welsh.

 

PL went through handbook outlining role.  P13 collective worship discussion, P14 methods of teaching & resources discussion, P15 agreed syllabus conference discussion, P16 committee’s discussion, P17 lines of communication discussion.

 

Page 12 item Committee A - CB Humanist representatives can they be co-opted?  PL - According to Circular 10/94 Humanists can be co-opted.

 

Page 17 item making work of SACRE’s known - CB need to raise awareness of SACRE and this committee.  CB proposed a letter for above PL to action.

 

Page 15 item religious teaching from within the faith community - CB any problems with church faith being different in schools to home life?  CB do parents ask for child not to be taught other/any religions?  PL discussed teaching syllabus Wales & England many faiths are taught. CB proposed send annual report to scrutiny and cabinet. LA/IH discussed primary school children inquisitive about teachings.  PL Lesley Francis study shows children who have a faith already are more tolerant of others.

 

DM posters should be in schools to raise awareness of SACRE.  PL Action – Poster or leaflet to be used to inform schools of the work of SACRE.

 

RW discussed a petition to remove statutory requirement of collective worship with 1333 signatures and a petition opposing this with 2209 signatures.  Questioned human rights & is writing to cabinet secretary at welsh government level.  PL Action – Letter to cabinet secretary at welsh government level about petitions. PL everyone to share any information of changes to email philiplord@gwegogledd.cymru

 

4.

Analysis of Inspection reports pdf icon PDF 67 KB

To receive the analysis of recent Estyn Inspection Reports.

Minutes:

Page 31 top - PL note three schools in inspection report, positively mentions religious education.  Future inspection framework changing to 5 key questions instead of 3. 

 

P32 item partnership working - DM questioned partnership working, PL discussed differences in primary & secondary schools. 

 

RP Estyn what is brief for religious education?  Estyn & WASACRE need to communicate.  PL advised that Estyn is obliged to comment when RE or collective worship is not being met Estyn does not need to comment if good practice is identified although it often does.  Religious education review by Estyn looking at primary education will be conducted in the Autumn term. PL Action – Write to schools.

 

5.

Lead Practitioner - Supporting the New GCSE specifications

To receive a presentation regarding a GwE initiative to support the new GCSE specification in Religious Studies.

Minutes:

Lucy Ashford lead practitioner delivered presentation Flintshire/Wrexham sharing systems/resources.  Sharepoint on hub set up by PL, teachers can use the WJEC and EDUQAS websites to download information.  Conference set up & attended by 60 to share how to mark work and receive humanist & atheist understanding on aspects of the curriculum.  Have funding for next year, need a list of contacts/ speakers and are regenerating old/new links between schools.  PL should write a letter to welcome extra funding focused on exam syllabus, lead practitioners have worked really well.  RP we have only one choice of exam board in Wales & prices have increased.  IH High schools have worked well, could we use same lead practitioner idea to link primary schools?  RP asking for choice of GCSE exam boards.  CB are we comparing like for like in UK and Wales exam results?  PL WJEC exam board have included more content to the GCSE this year.  Teachers perceive this GCSE as harder.

 

6.

School to school collaborative working - Update

To receive a verbal report from Philip Lord, Challenge Advisor.

Minutes:

PL advised £5,000.00 funding paid for supply forum held at St Giles and Denbighshire for primary RE teachers to meet.  A pack was sent to schools who have pooled resources.  PL to make sharing site on hub.

 

7.

WASACRE pdf icon PDF 403 KB

       i.       To receive the minutes of the last meeting of the Association Usk, Monmouthshire.

      ii.       WASACRE summer meeting, 7th June, Wrexham.

    iii.       WASACRE exec elections

Minutes:

Minutes Wales Association of SACREs Meeting 3rd March 2017 P33-43.

Page 35 item 6 - PL Estyn used them as good practice in Donaldson curriculum, teaching was very different.  IR good to look at alternative ways to get people to study, challenge is good.  PL we are in a transition from current curriculum and don’t yet have new curriculum, concern for next few years regarding what RE might look like in some schools.  CB religious education is being pushed to sidelines.  Who is responsible for agreeing/delivering the syllabus statutory requirement?  CB Who is contact here?  RP initiatives can lose sight of curriculum and education of each child, key principles to be religiously literate, Donaldson report generates these questions.  PL SACRE role if we are writing it is from Local Authority then SACRE.  PL Estyn to see SACRE and WASACRE what will be delivered in schools, SACRE to support schools.

WASACRE minutes received and next Wales Association of SACREs meeting is on 7th July 2017 at 10:00am at Wrexham Guildhall, PL is attending, attendees here welcome.

WASACRE exec elections PL advised two nominations and only two applications received ??Alison Lewis??.  Gill Vaisey and Ernie Goldsworthy.  Vote by show of hands three Jill Vasey and three Ernie Goldsworthy, chair casting vote was Gill Vaisey.

 

8.

Future Meetings

Future meetings will be conducted at 2pm on the following dates:

 

 

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

 

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

 

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Minutes:

Future meetings will be conducted at 2pm on the following dates: Wednesday October 11 2017, Wednesday February 21 2018, Wednesday June 13 2018.

 

PL to deliver presentation on Finland.

Group agreed future meetings better in schools possibly Bryn Coch.  IH Action to email available rooms to PL.  RW Action to email PL rooms suitable for 18 people.

 

 

Related Pages

Useful Websites

Useful Documents