Committee structureFind out what is being discussed at Council, Cabinet and Committee meetings which are open to members of the public.
Some reports will not be available to the public as they contain exempt information; details of such reports will be provided on the agenda.
Agendas, reports and minutes relating to meetings of the County Council and its committees are considered part of the Council’s internal business. Agenda front sheets and minutes of meetings are available in Welsh from May 2017 (January 2017 for Cabinet and County Council)..
Flintshire County Council
All Councillors meet together as the Council. Meetings of the Council are normally open to the public. Here Councillors decide the Council’s overall policies and set the budget each year.
The business to be considered by the Cabinet is published in the forward work programme. Meetings of the Cabinet, Overview and Scrutiny Committees, the Council and other Committees are live streamed and recorded for the public except where exempt or confidential matters are being discussed, as defined by the law.
The Cabinet has to make decisions which are in line with the Council’s overall policies and budget. If it wishes to make a decision which is outside the budget or policy framework, this must be referred to the Council as a whole.
Leader of the Council and Cabinet Member for Education
Deputy Leader of the Council (Partnerships) & Cabinet Member for Social Services
Deputy Leader of the Council (Governance) & Cabinet Member for Corporate Management & Assets
Cabinet Member for Streetscene
Cabinet Member for Planning & Public Protection
Cabinet Member for Economic Development
Cabinet Member for Housing
Cabinet Member for Finance, Social Value and Procurement
Overview and Scrutiny
Decisions are usually made by the Cabinet for all issues including major policy matters. The role of Overview and Scrutiny is to hold the Cabinet to account as a critical friend and to monitor/assist in the improvement and development of the Council’s policies and services. Under the Local Government Act 2000, local authorities must have at least one Overview and Scrutiny committee.
There are five Overview and Scrutiny committees:
- Community, Housing & Assets Overview & Scrutiny Committee
- Corporate Resources Overview & Scrutiny Committee
- Education, Youth & Culture Overview & Scrutiny Committee
- Environment & Economy Overview & Scrutiny Committee
- Joint Education, Youth & Culture and Social & Health Care Overview & Scrutiny Committee
- Social & Health Care Overview & Scrutiny Committee
The Recovery Committee will oversee the vital work of helping the Council to recover from the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The Planning Committee meets approximately every 4 weeks to decide on planning applications submitted to the Council.
The Cabinet cannot make planning and development control decisions. These are delegated by the Council to this Committee and officers by the Scheme of Delegation.
In accordance with guidance and best practice, the Council has established an Audit Committee as a Committee of the Council to support and promote efficient and economic use of resources and effective control of expenditure and review audit performance.
Constitution and Democratic Services Committee
The Council’s Constitution and Democratic Services Committee makes recommendations to the Council in matters relating to corporate governance and constitutional issues.
The statutory functions of the Committee are:
(a) to designate and officer and the Head of Democratic Services pursuant to a requirement under Section 8(1)(a) of the Measure;
(b) To review the adequacy of provision by the Authority of staff, accommodation and other resources to discharge democratic services functions; and
(c) To make reports and recommendations to the Authority in relation to such provision.
The Council has established a Licensing Committee which has been given delegated powers to determine applications made under the Licensing Act 2003 in accordance with policy adopted by the Council.
The Standards Committee will have the following roles and functions:
(a) promoting and maintaining high standards of conduct by Councillors, co-opted members and church and parent governor representatives;
(b) assisting the Councillors, co-opted members and church and parent governor representatives to observe the Members’ Code of Conduct;
(c) advising the Council on the adoption or revision of the Members’ Code of Conduct;
(d) monitoring the operation of the Members’ Code of Conduct;
(e) advising, training or arranging to train Councillors, co-opted members and church and parent governor representatives on matters relating to the Members’ Code of Conduct;
(f) granting dispensations to Councillors, co-opted members and church and parent governor representatives from requirements relating to interests set out in the Members’ Code of Conduct;
(g) determining requests for representation in proceedings under the Council’s indemnity Scheme for Members and officers;
(h) dealing with any reports from a case tribunal or interim case tribunal, and any report from the Monitoring Officer on any matter referred to that officer by the officer by the Local Commissioner in Wales;
(i) the exercise of (a) to (h) above in relation to the Community Councils wholly or mainly in its area and the members of those community councils.
Clwyd Pension Fund Committee
The Clwyd Pension Fund Committee will meet four times a year.
North Wales Residual Waste Joint Committee
The Joint Committee will operate in accordance with the constitution / terms of reference approved by the participating Authorities. The Joint Committee will oversee the North Wales Waste Treatment Project and make formal decisions on behalf of the five constituent Authorities (working within its delegated Authority).
These are Committees that have disbanded or superseded by Committees listed above:
- Community and Enterprise Overview & Scrutiny Committee
- Community Profile & Partnerships OSC - Expired 07/05/15
- Constitution Committee
- Corporate Management OSC - Expired 21/10/10
- Democratic Services Committee
- Education and Youth Overview & Scrutiny Committee
- Environment & Regeneration OSC - Expired 13/10/10
- Environment Overview & Scrutiny Committee - Expired 13/07/20
- Housing OSC - Expired 07/05/15
- Joint Community & Enterprise and Social & Health Care Overview & Scrutiny Committee
- Joint Community Profile & Partnerships & Lifelong Learning OSC
- Joint Corporate Resources and Environment Overview & Scrutiny Committee
- Joint Education & Youth and Social & Health Care Overview & Scrutiny Committee
- Joint Housing & Environment OSC
- Joint Housing & Social & Health Care OSC - Expired 07/05/15
- Joint Lifelong Learning and Social & Health Care OSC - Expired 07/05/15
- Lifelong Learning OSC - Expired 07/05/15
- Organisational Change Overview & Scrutiny Committee
- People & Performance OSC - Expired 18/11/10
- Planning & Development Control Committee
- Policy & Corporate Management OSC - Expired 14/06/05
- Special Meeting of Flintshire County Council
- Special Planning and Development Control
- Clwydian Range and Dee Valley Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Joint Committee
- Flintshire SACRE
- North Wales Police and Crime Panel